After seeing so many gorgeous camera straps out there, I decided that my boring black DSLR camera strap just had to have one!
Gray and white stripe fabric- Moda
Rhinestone yardage, iron-on stabilizer and burlap- Walmart
Stretch tulle- JoAnn Fabrics
Pleated satin ribbon, buttons, red toweling fabric- unknown source
I measured the portion of the camera strap that I wanted covered and added a half inch to to all sides for seam allowance. After cutting two strips of striped fabric (the front and the back of strap), I ironed the stabilizer onto the back of one piece. I knew I would be adding a lot of embellishments, and I wanted to make sure they had something sturdy enough to hold their weight. I then sewed the pleated ribbon down the center of the piece with the stabilizer.
Placing right sides together, I sewed down the length of one of the sides, folded the short ends
to the stabilizer side and sewed the length of each. I placed the right sides together again and sewed the other long side together.
After turning the camera strap right side out, I ironed it flat. It is now ready to be embellished.
I cut a 1 inch by 24 inch strip of the stretch tulle and sewed a gathering stitch down the center lengthwise.
I gathered the strip of tulle into a ruffle.
I attached the rhinestones to the ruffle by hand stitching around each link.
I started the fabric flower by cutting a 2 inch by 18 inch strip of the red fabric, and folding it in half lengthwise. Fold the corner down on one end and stitch it to the center of a 3 inch by 3 inch square piece of felt.
To create the flower, fold the fabric over at an angle, working your way around in a circle. Stitch each fold through the felt backing to the front, and to the back again.
When there is about 2 inches of fabric left, trim the excess felt off of the back, being careful not to cut your stitches. Then fold one last petal and stitch the end of the fabric to the back of the flower.
The small burlap pieces were hot glued so they would hold their shape and be less likely to fray.
I hand sewed each piece onto the camera strap using needle and thread, then used a hot glue gun to secure any loose pieces.
And there you have it! We'd love to hear your feedback. If you like this post, consider following us (sidebar on the right)... We have many more great ideas coming soon!